Thursday, December 06, 2007

My biggest mistake...

Wednesday on the cbs Evening News, Katie Couric asked ten Presidential candidates from both major parties about their biggest mistake. I'm now gonna play along.

My biggest mistake was being anti-choice early on in my life. Back when I was in high school, I didn't know how disrespectful I was being to my female friends with my anti-choice views. All that changed when I was in Karin Willoughby's Environmental class at South Carolina-Aiken in my (so far) only semester at the university. On February 1, 2003, after seeing a Greenville News article talking about the then Republican majority wanting to abolish Title IX and the Educational Equity Act of 1972, all that changed. After seeing that article, I began studying up on the ramifications of Title IX being overturned, but what really blew my mind was the fact that Title IX was just a part of the rightists' War on Women. In July 2003, I took a test issued by National Abortion and Reproductive Rights Action League (now called just NARAL) and found out that I was pro-choice! I was shocked, but really happy to be pro-woman. By this time, I had completely removed the anti-choice evil from my body. By the time I became pro-woman, however, one of my older friends was pregnant and was forced to carry it to term in April 2004. That is when it hit home.

Now since that time, I realized that forcing women to give birth is sexual assault. That is why lawmakers should make it a felony to force a woman to carry a pregnancy to term against her will.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...